Many government agencies and disaster recovery organizations still recommend using bleach on molds to kill and disinfect, but that advice is not accurate.

Serious disinformation has been popularized and reflected in the guidelines given to healthcare workers and the public encouraging the use of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and other forms of chlorinated products for cleaning molds from damp indoor spaces. Biocides, including chlorine bleach, are harmful to humans and pets. Bleach is a strong corrosive material and will irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. It is cytotoxic and genotoxic and has an accumulative effect on the body and can cause damage to organs.

Bleach on Molds

Using bleach on mold is discouraged as some species propagate via spores that are unaffected by chlorine, acids, caustics, and even ozone. In addition, chlorinating carbon-based organic toxins increases their toxicity by increasing their mutagenicity and their lipid solubility which allows these poisons to enter the skin and accumulate in lipid-rich tissue such as fat deposits and the brain.

Ultimately, by using bleach or chlorinated products on mold may increase its overall toxicity and advance proliferation.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons

Cart